Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What's Up With Facebook?

A few weeks ago I mentioned here that I had finally signed up for a Facebook account. I have to say, I find it kind of overwhelming. The endless requests for "friend" status from people I don't know and the long lists of comments on topics that I can't decipher (probably due to fuddy-duddyism as much as anything) have actually kept me from even checking in on a regular basis. But now, something even more sinister (or seemingly so) has really put me off the service. I've discovered that they edited my profile to eliminate mentions of things for which they have no links. That is, movies, books, and music that I had listed (at their request) as among my favorites have been cut out, leaving only those that have a hot link to someone or something else on Facebook. I'm not too thrilled with that arbitrary shaping of my profile, so my visits will now be even more infrequent. I'll keep the account-- it was nice to receive updates there on my cousin Greg's condition when he first went into the hospital, for example-- but if anyone reading this is looking to communicate with me there, be aware it may be a long wait.

3 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
Wow I never noticed this - I guess I just never visit my home page (information section) so I never noticed - this is a major bummer!!!!

Anonymous said...

I quit going into facebook too, John. I just couldn't figure out what it was all about...though I did enjoy keeping up with your cousins. Mom

Anonymous said...

I tried deleting mine once but i ended right back on it a week later... guess I just don't have self restraint!
Natalie