Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Family Blogging

Here's a picture of my Gramma Linsey. She wasn't actually my grandmother, but she took in my Dad when he first came to this country, taught him English and helped him assimilate, leading him to refer to her as his "American mother." I never met my actual paternal grandmother, but as a young kid always had a great time when we went to visit Gramma Linsey. I wonder how many of my siblings remember those visits? [That's a prompt for comments and reminisces, by the way, in case I was too subtle.]

5 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I kind of remember visiting her though I would guess I must have been very young. I seem to remember a time around Easter where she gave me a white chocolate lamb. Without remembering details of visits I remember more the feelings that I would always look forward to visiting her. =)
Lil' Sis

Anonymous said...

Sunday afternoon rides always ended up at Gramma Linsey's. Your Dad took me out to meet her when we started to date in 1955. And she approved of me ;-} because I ate all of the apple pie she served - even the crust.

Well, who wouldn't?? It was delicious. Mom

Anonymous said...

I remember Sunday drives through the countryside to get to Gramma Linsey's. She lived in a yellow house close to the road. Behind her house was a huge old barn that just begged to be explored. Unfortunately, we were firmly told to never go inside because it was so old and dangerous.
I also remember her neighbors had a huge white house surrounded by an enormous lawn. It was right on the corner. Every time I drive out toward Darien Center, I look to see if I can recognize the place again.
I suppose her old barn and yellow house are long gone now.
Sally

Lil' Sis said...

By the way what was her first name?? Mom- do you remember?
Lil' Sis

Anonymous said...

I still have the lovely letter she wrote me when Mary Catherine was born. She was so delighted that we named the baby Catherine. Her name was Katherine and it made no difference that we spelled it with a "C".