Monday, May 10, 2010

European Trip 35

Our first full day in Prague started with a guided tour around the royal palace grounds. That's our guide Katerina holding the flag and Ben's attention just outside the entrance. The palace now houses the offices of the current government of the Czech Republic.

There's a bit of a mix of older buildings, and slightly less older buildings on the grounds.

I like this picture of an apparent hillside outside the palace walls. Actually, it's the remains of the moat that used to serve as a bit of an obstacle to outsiders trying to attack the castle.

Dan told me about all the weird statues in Prague and I assume these next two shots are a couple of them. They loom over one of the gates of the palace and seem much more brutal in composition than what you typically see.

We also watched the changing of the guards, which was very formal and involved absolutely no eye contact with any of the tourists on the part of the troops. I guess that counts for something, but I'm hard-pressed to guess what it is.

Some detail-work from one of the doorways in the complex, evidently one of the churches (Sorry but I can't remember for sure).

No comments: