Thursday, May 13, 2010

European Trip 38

Here are a few more pictures from the complex around the Prague Castle. Above is some nice inlaid pictures on the outside of the Cathedral.

The red building above is St. George's Basilica. It's not quite as striking as the cathedral, but it's actually much older, going back to about 920 AD (though the facade is only about 400 years old). It now houses a museum.

This is the back side of the cathedral. You get a good sense of how intricate the detail work is.

These little houses (now shops) are actually built into the castle wall. Most of them house little craft shos now-- almost like a medieval strip mall. The area above them in the wall house a bunch of old sets of knights' armor and weapons.

Here's another of the weird sculptures we came across. I'm not sure what this is supposed to represent, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Coming out of the castle grounds, you get a great view of the Vltava River and the old part of the city on the other side. Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of our walk down and back over across the river.

1 comment:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I love the photos of the churches/cathedrals. One of my favorite books of all times is Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett - if medieval times interest you or even cathedral building (circa 1150's +/-) I highly recommend this book. I just finished rereading it so it is so cool to see the images of churches/cathedrals in reference to my visual I picture in my mind- you could say mind blowing =)
Lil' Sis