Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lena Horne R.I.P.

Back in the early eighties I worked for the EPA in New York City, and one of my friends and colleagues there was a really nice guy named Adolph. His cubicle was right next to mine, so I had a lot of opportunities, while visiting, to admire the collection of photos he had on his walls of his cousin, Lena Horne. Even though she represented a different generation (in terms of style as much as age), between her connection to Adolph and seeing her in some old movies, I became a fan-- and for the whole time I worked in that office I held out some hope she might drop by so I could meet her (the idea wasn't so far-fetched, as some of Adolph's pics were clearly taken during one such visit). It never happened, but I've continued to like her as a performer, and respect her for other things I learned about her as time went by (especially in relation to her efforts in support of the Civil Rights movement). All in all, clearly a lovely lady and I'm sorry to see her go. Here's one of her most famous songs, which will no doubt keep her memory alive for quite some time:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh...how that lady could sing. And I think she weathered all kinds of stormy weather in her career. Always one of my favorite performers...Mom