Thursday, May 13, 2010

Soup Diary 100513

Regular readers may have noted a long gap since the last entry in this series. I want to assure everyone that I have not given up on eating soup, but in recent weeks, it seems I've mostly had to fall back on packaged varieties on which I've already commented (most commonly: Pacific brand organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato). Actually, I'd say that over each of the past five or six days, I thought I'd put together a pot of something homemade, but I always get distracted; maybe today though (as it's still early).

Anyway, a couple days ago I went to Bozeman and had a really good bowl of chili at Mackenzie River, a local pizza chain. It's actually Chicken Chili, and they do it right, concocting a hearty, tomato-y (but not acidic) stew garnished with big chunks of green onions. They also offer a soup of the day, but I'm usually disappointed by those options (and besides it was clam chowder-- that's right, clam chowder on Tuesday: isn't there some kind of unwritten restaurant law that dictates that as a Friday specialty?). But the chili is always good, so it stands as a tasty fallback, and certainly lived up to expectations this time out-- making up for the somewhat mediocre turkey sandwich I also had. I'm looking forward to checking our Fables in the near future, as I saw they were featuring an Eggplant Bisque and Cauliflower Curry the last couple days (I subscribe to the e-mail alert of their daily specials), that is, some new varieties that promise something different.

No comments: