Thursday, May 20, 2010

Soup Diary 100520

A couple days ago my friend Bill and I drove over to Yellowstone Park to take some pictures. He invested in a new DSLR about the same time I did, and we're still both learning how to use the darn things effectively, and the Park offered an opportunity to experiment on landscapes. I'll be posting some of the results in a few days. After spending about nine hours driving and shooting, we landed in West Yellowstone around 7:00 and very hungry. I convinced him to try a place called the Outpost, whose sign promising hearty soups caught my attention. I was not disappointed, although I briefly thought I might be. I ordered the vegetable barley, while Bill went with the chicken dumpling. His arrived first and looked really good, but the vegetable barley turned out to be excellent as well. Chock full of carrots, corn, onions, peppers and lots of barley in a very rich, tangy broth-- it was really good. I might mention that the hot turkey sandwich with homemade mashed potatoes and gravy was just as excellent, meaning that the Outpost has now become a must-stop whenever I next head over to Yellowstone.

3 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
Hey I heard of a place out here that serves pickle soup- you up for something like that? LOL
Lil' Sis

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis,
I'd give it a try-- I was shocked at how much I enjoyed sausage and sauerkraut soup awhile back, and it seems like pickle soup might be in the same general category.
Dr. John

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I will endeavor to locate such restaurant (a friend of mine told me about it)and let you know - may even go there next week and try it out =)
Lil' Sis