Sunday, October 25, 2009

Soup Diary 091025

I've mentioned before that one of my favorite soups is the Chicken Tortilla variety served at the Baja Fresh chain of restaurants on the west coast. I'd go a few miles out of my way to have a bowl of that stuff. I think I've also mentioned that when I've had Chicken Tortilla soup in other places, it's been kind of hit or miss. Yesterday I had a bowl at one of my favorite Mexican Restaurants, Christina's La Cucina in Butte, and it was pretty good, but not outstanding. I actually didn't detect any tortillas in the mix (nor did it have a slice of avacado, part of what makes Baja Fresh's version so great), but is was suitably tangy and somewhat cheesy, with a bit of sour cream as well, so it definitely made a nice prelude to my meal. I imagine there are proprietary interests in the various recipes used by these places, so I'll never have exactly the same experience in different places, which is okay; but I do wish that I could get ahold of something as good as Baja Fresh's more than a couple times a year.

No comments: