Saturday, October 24, 2009

More Pictures from Red Rock Canyon

Here are a few more shots taken at Red Rock Canyon in Nevada last week. Above you get a good sense of the desert plain that sits between the outcroppings of rocks and the mountains.

Here's a view looking up a canyon towards, if I recall correctly, Turtlehead Mountain. By this point in our visit, we were pretty parched and not quite willing to hike up any closer.

These next two are from the one shady spot we found, so we lingered a bit to beat the heat. The colors of the trees against the backdrop of the mountains made for some stunning views.

There were a bunch of chipmunks running around this spot, and I suspect that I aimed my camera here to catch one perched on the rock. Also, he scurried off before I snapped the picture, though I still think it turned out pretty good.

One last shot of a lonely tree up at the lookout point overlooking the desert floor of the park (this was from the highest elevation accessible without actually climbing up on the rocks). Going up to the conservancy was a nice break from the city, but the latter was what we came down to Vegas to experience, so after a couple hours in the mountains, we were heading back....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, John, I remember hiking there with Mark one year when Tom was in Vegas for a vacuum dealers' convention. We took water annd snacks and had a full day of exploring the canyon.The colors of the rocks next to the brilliant blue sky were stunning. I'll forward you some of the pictures I took.
Sally