Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Political Comment (by Proxy)

I didn't comment a couple weeks ago when Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. I think I can explain why with a little anecdote: that morning I was walking to school and saw my friend Tom out scraping the snow off his car. When I came up to say hello, Tom asked me if I heard the news that morning. I said no, I hadn't had the radio or TV on; so he asked me to guess who won the Nobel Peace Prize. I wracked my brain, and though Obama's name popped into my head, I immediately dismissed it. "Eve Malo," I guessed, taking Tom somewhat aback (Eve is a former faculty colleague who since retiring about ten years ago has campaigned diligently against the death penalty). "No, Obama!" Tom informed me. I kind of shrugged. I couldn't think of what he'd done to deserve it, but it was no skin off my nose (though I still thought Eve would've been a more deserving recipient). I told Tom that it'd be fun to read the right-wing blogs that day and headed off to work. Anyway, Matt Taibbi, a reporter whose work I like a lot, posted this comment on the award a couple days ago, and I think I'll just say that I whole-heartedly agree with his take on the matter.

No comments: