Thursday, October 22, 2009

Photos From Red Rock Canyon

Last Friday Bill and I spent most of the morning driving and hiking around the Red Rock Canyon nature conservancy about fifteen miles west of Las Vegas (hard to believe it was actually that close). Above you can see some of the rocks that give the place its name.

This shot gives you a better idea of the desert like landscape that comes right up to the edge of the mountains. The terrain was very sandy, and the creek bed that lay just below this spot was bone-dry.

The blocks in the foreground here were cut out of a nearby sandstone quarry that was opened in 1906 and closed just a couple of years later. It proved to be too remote to make it worthwhile lugging the stones to where someone might actually want to use them (back then, I don't think Vegas was any more than a tiny crossroads village, if that).

This shot of Bill was also taken near the old quarry. I liked the two-tone features of the rocks rising up behind him.

And here's one of me-- wearing my souvenir cap purchased at the visitors center. I wish I'd spent the money on a couple bottles of water, as we got pretty parched hiking around the trails in close to 90 degree heat. Next time, we'll be better prepared in that regard (I suspect Bill will opt to wear something than sandals next time too). I've got a few more pics to post from Red Rock, which I should have up tomorrow.

No comments: