Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What I Did Sunday

This past Sunday, I took a little ride with Sara, Tom, Natalie, Ben, and Andromeda down to Eighteen Mile Creek Park in Hamburg. None of us had been there before, and we made a few wrong turns before finding the park entrance, but it was worth the effort. The creek cuts through a small chasm of steep shale cliffs on one side and green forest on the other, and it made for a great spot for wading, skipping stones, and taking pictures, like these:

Above is a look at the forest on the pathway down to the creek (which you can make out in a silver sliver near the center of this shot).

Here's a view looking across at the shale (and I think looking west where the creek eventually empties into Lake Erie).

There were a couple of very high, very narrow waterfalls cascading over the edge on the far side of the creek.

Here are Natalie and Ben doing some of that aforementioned wading (kids sure do like to get wet, don't they?).

There were a few mild rapids in the creek where we were, and a little later on, we saw some kids with tubes (though not actually riding them for some reason).

I think I caught a stone in mid-skip here-- it's just splashed and is heading off stage left.

I had to get one in here of Tom and Andromeda, but you may have to squint to see them.

Sally never stops being a teacher-- I wonder what fascinating item she is showing Ben here (and I wonder if she brought it home with her). It was a fun day all around, and the rain even mostly held off until we got back to the car!

1 comment:

cate said...

What great pictures, As you all heard we are suffering with 100 + degree weather and these pictures really made me think of cool places. It also made me realize how beautiful new york is and how much I would love to move back! not to mention hanging with Sally, Tom, Natalie and Ben more often.
Cate