Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Soup Diary 090721

A favorite returned to the Fables menu today, and since there was nothing else that I hadn't already sampled, I was free to indulge. The Creamy Black Bean is one of my two or three favorites, maybe falling just a little short of the Sweet Potato Pablano but a bit ahead of the African Peanut. Isn't it odd that I'm ranking them at all? I mean, if I had not started doing these little write-ups, I'd be satisfied to just enjoy them "in the moment" (or not, as the case may be). But since I've undertaken to keep a record, I feel somewhat compelled to give them a degree of relative worth compared to all the others. Actually, what's really got me worried now is that I've completed the cycle, and will not have any new varieties to sample and report on through next week (after which I head back to Montana and endure a forced separation from my favorite soup venue). Maybe the chefs there will surprise me.

Which reminds me of something I failed to record here last week, when I got back from my trip through central New York. When we stopped for lunch in a bistro in Saratoga, we inquired as to the soup of the day and were told by our waitress that it wasn't ready yet, the chef was still working on it. So we did without (I had a pretty good chicken sandwich, though). But the idea that the chef was still "working on it" made me imagine something truly special was imminent, and I regretted we wouldn't be hanging around for dinner when, it seemed reasonable to assume, the special concoction would be ready. Oh well, as all Jack Benny fans know, timing is everything.

One last note: my Mom made a nice pot of tomato soup for supper this evening (along with grilled cheese sandwiches). Perfect comfort food for a rainy day here in WNY.

No comments: