Saturday, July 18, 2009

Traveling Through New York State, Part 1

Here are a few pictures from my recent two-day jaunt through central and eastern New York, with the main focus being a visit to Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Our first stop was in Geneva to walk out along the pier that stretches into Lake Seneca (above). I was traveling with my old friend Curtis. This was his first trip to Cooperstown (my third, the last one about ten years ago).

When we arrived at our destination, we wandered around the quaint little town a bit before heading to the museum. As you can imagine, it is over-flowing with shops and restaurants that cater to the baseball theme. Above we see a somewhat spontaneous outgrowth of that environment: some kids playing pepper in the corner park across from the Hall of Fame.

The Hall itself has been considerably modernized, even from my last trip (at the time of my first, back in about 1970, it was still a pretty rustic set-up). Above is the display celebrating the accomplishments of my favorite team, the Braves, in the 1990s. Greg Maddux, shown pitching at the top of the exhibit, had his number retired by the Braves in a ceremony last just night.

The main reason the Braves are my favorite team is that when I was a youngster, my favorite player was Henry Aaron, who of course went on to become the game's most prolofic home run hitter in the pre-steroid age. They had a special exhibit devoted to Hammerin' Hank and his pursuit of Ruth's record, with the above collage serving as its introduction.

Down the street, there's a small, old-fashioned ballpark, where we stopped to grab a drink. I decided it was the perfect time to try Yoo Hoo for the first time, and had Curtis snap this photo to commemorate the event.

No comments: