Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Boy, Are the Buffalo Bisons Bad!

I was really looking forward to watching the Buffalo Bisons this summer, as in years past. But the team is woeful. I'm going to the game later tonight, but expect the only real entertainment will be watching to see if they come up with a new way to lose (actually, the company should be pleasant too). Last week, I saw them blow a five run lead in the eighth inning; last night on TV they collapsed again, this time in the ninth (though to be fair, it was only a one-run lead). I think they may have the worst record in all of professional baseball, and deservedly so. But the real point I wanted to make about all this is that it was predictable, if we'd only been paying attention when their new uniforms were introduced last winter. The change was occasioned by their switching from the Indians to the Mets as their parent club. Anyway, take a look at these two jerseys and tell me if you can imagine them being worn by a winning team:

Buffalo has long suffered from an inferiority complex in relation to our bigger downstate counterpart-- so, why did the Bisons need to have the NY of the Mets stitched into their uniforms? It's contradictory and ugly (they also have an NY stitched below the B on their caps, which also looks stupid), and no doubt contributes to their lackluster play.

This is even worse-- it looks like the shirt that would be worn by a beer-league team of undertakers. Is it any wonder that the team isn't playing any better, when they have to take the field in these horrible uniforms?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks John! I just bought a couple of those jersys. Your telling me I have no civic pride or fashion sense? See if I allow you to be my P boy anymore!!!!!

Anonymous said...

From the previous comment please insert "you're" in for "your". Next you'll be telling me I need spell check.

John Hajduk said...

Did you really buy these? Don't they offer retro versions from those years when they dressed more sharply? And as for civic pride, at least I went out to cheer them on, even though I believed deep down it would be for naught-- that should count for something!
Dr. John