Friday, July 24, 2009

Soup Diary 090724

There was something new to try today at Fables, so I (figuratively) dove right in. The avgolemono is a Greek Chicken and Rice soup with lemon and (in this case) plentiful onion rounding out the mix. It was quite tasty, if not quite up to the best bowls enjoyed there in previous visits. One of the things I'm discovering through this little exercise of recording my soup choices is that I noticeably prefer the creamy to the clear broth varieties, something that I would not have predicted. I'm also surprised that the blended soups, where you can't detect the main ingredients by sight (as opposed to taste) are also in the top tier. I'm wondering how difficult they are to make, anticipating a long winter far from the library cafe, and contemplating trying to replicate some of my favorites at home. I've got another week to sample a couple more varieties here, and then I'll be searching for recipes. I'll be sure to keep you posted on whatever experiments I undertake in my own kitchen.

No comments: