Monday, July 13, 2009

The Last Book I Read

I have to admit I harbor some fascination for the seedier side of the entertainment and media industries. I enjoy stories about how those way out on the margins hustle to survive, and in many cases even thrive, by offering up the most basic forms of visceral information or spectacle. I don't necessarily enjoy the products produced by these outsiders, but hearing about how they go about their business almost always hooks me. A good example of this sort of thing that I've recently re-encountered is the comic strip Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer by Ben Katchor. Other examples include stories of old forgotten vaudeville acts (Fred Allen's memoir of his days on the circuit, Much Ado About Me, is a favorite), Poverty Row movie serials, and just about anything that might've sparked the interest of those who booked the old Joe Franklin Show.

Anyway, Mike Edison has enjoyed a career bouncing around music, wrestling, and magazine work that certainly fits the bill as far as steering clear of the mainstream. His account of his adventures in these areas was a quick and entertaining read, which gave me the opportunity to slum a little in going along for the vicarious ride. For example, I now feel like I have a better sense of what a G.G. Allin show was like, and it didn't involve me watching the guy mutilate himself. Along those same lines, the backstage view of High Times magazine was totally engrossing, and instructive on how hippiedom has declined. I don't mean that in any way to denigrate the things Edison's done, since clearly, he mostly enjoyed himself too-- and in those instances that were not so much fun, by his own account those situations at least had the value of helping him hone his crafts or demonstrate his ability to maintain some standards of professionalism. If you too would like a glimpse at a side of show business or the media that is not covered by Entertainmaen Weekly, you might enjoy this book too.

No comments: