Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Soup Diary 090728

Did you ever have a bowl of soup garnished with lettuce? Me neither, until yesterday. How about this: do you associate celery with cheeseburgers? No, me neither, though chunks of the crispy stuff was very prominent in the bowl of Cheeseburger Soup I had yesterday at Fables. Despite these odd components (odd in the sense of defying expectations) this was a really good soup. There was also, of course, some cheese and hamburger in the mix, along with onions and tomatoes, and no doubt one or two things I didn't discern (distracted as I was by the lettuce and celery), and the whole thing was extremely satisfying. I made the comment in an earlier diary entry to beware of gimmick soups, but here was a clear exception to that warning, making me glad I didn't opt for the Minestrone (though I'm sure that would've been fine also).

No comments: