Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Soup Diary 090707

I'm not a really big fan of sausages. I like a good hot dog (Sahlen's is my preferred brand), and on occasion some good Polish or Italian sausage might hit the spot. But I generally won't go out of my way to have sausage if there are other options; even at breakfast, I prefer bacon or ham. Today I had a bowl of Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage soup, and while it was pretty tasty, I can't help but think that it would've been better if they left the sausage out, as its only contribution (that I could detect) was to add a few chewy lumps to the mix. I will say that the crumbly cheese (seemed a little mild to be feta) that the Fables chef sprinkled on top (in place of the sour cream shown in the above picture found on-line) was a nice touch, and they had fresh rye bread to go along with the soup, so that was a plus. In sum, it was another case of something good falling short in comparison with the more stellar soups I've enjoyed in recent weeks. I'm guessing that the Creamy Black Bean is due for a comeback pretty soon, so I have something to look forward to.

No comments: