Thursday, July 23, 2009

In the Category of Useless Information...

[Which end do you think is the front? Not so fast...]

Did you know that today marks the anniversary of the start of the first transcontinental, non-stop, backwards auto trip across the US? Now you do. Setting off on this date in 1930, Charles Creighton and James Hargis drove their 1929 Model A in reverse from New York City to Los Angeles (arriving on August 13) without ever stopping the engine. Pretty interesting huh?

Last night, Ben and I went to a classic car show at the Canalfest in North Tonawanda, and actually saw a 1929 Model A there. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the car that made the backwards trip (nor is it the one in the above picture), and I didn't hear the story of the Creighton/Hargis adventure until this morning-- I just thought it was a weird coincidence that I saw the same model car just before hearing the story.

No comments: