Monday, August 17, 2009

Where I Was Thursday

I spent the past few days in the great Northwest visiting my sisters Liz & Catie and their families, as well as a few cousins. I had a wonderful time and will likely share more details of my trip over the next couple of days. I wanted to mention that on the drive up, I stopped in Roslyn, Washington to take a few pictures of the setting for my second favorite TV show of all-time, Northern Exposure.

The show was set in a mythical place called Cicely, Alaska, but was filmed in Roslyn which sits just east of Snoqulamie Pass in the Wenatchee National Forest. The Brick (seen above) was the local bar in the show, run by Holling Vincouer. The outside is just like it looked on TV; the inside is considerably smaller, as the interiors were clearly shot on a studio set.

There was one whole flashback episode which essentially explained the above mural, which often popped up onscreen, even though, as mentioned, the na,e of the fictional town was Cicely. In that episode, Roslyn was the co-founder of the community back at the time of the Klondike gold rush, and her cafe became a salon attracting all kinds of interesting historical figures (I haven't seen it in awhile, but I'm pretty sure one of them was Sigmund Freud).

The main character in the show was Dr. Joel Fleishman (office seen above-- now converted to a gift shop; previous to his arrival in Cicely a mining company office).

KBHR was the local radio station, owned by Maurice Minniefield (an ex-astronaut) and staffed by Chris in the Morning, who read poetry, played all kinds of interesting music, and generally served as the aural bond for the community. The station seems to be the best preserved of the former sets used by the show-- there are actually piles of records in the window that have warped over the years since the show went off the air (which had to be about fifteen years ago), along with books and papers that may have been tyhe very ones Chris read from on the air.

This mural of Marlon Branso is visible from the main street, and as far as I can recall, has no connection to Northern Exposure. But it looked kind of cool, so here it is. I was in Roslyn once before, maybe twelve or thirteen years ago, much closer to when the show was on the air. Back then there were all kinds of tourists wandering around, checking the place out. This time, I seemed to be the only one. I hope that doesn't mean that people have forgotten the show, which was one of the true classics of teh medium.

No comments: