Saturday, August 29, 2009

Saturday Morning "Car"toon-- Posted in the Evening

Back when I was a kid, NASCAR was virtually unknown, at least where I grew up. But toy slot cars and Hot Wheels were extremely popular. There were even clubs where you could go and race the former on really big tracks against other members. Of course, there was also the annual Pinewood Derby for those of us in the Cub Scouts. I guess all those signaled enough interest among the younger set to justify a cartoon on the subject of auto racing. One of the best things about Wacky Races, something that really made an impression on me at any rate, was that you really never knew who was going to win: it wasn't always the heroic Peter Perfect. I vaguely remember pulling for the Anthill Gang, but also had a soft spot for Muttley, Dick Dastardly's henchman. Here's the very first episode (in two parts-- with really cool soundtrack music too!):



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watch it all the time on tv and i love it. Raechelle

John Hajduk said...

Raechelle,
Is Wacky Races still on?! I thought it disappeared ages ago. I'll have to check it out.
Dr. John