Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What I Did Last Friday

Another highlight of my trip to Washington was going to my first Pacific Coast League baseball game. Richard, Gerik and I went to see the local Tacoma Rainiers (Triple A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners) play the Iowa Cubs (you can guess who their parent club is) at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma.

Cheney Stadium is fifty years old, and though it shows it age somewhat is still a very comfortable place to watch a game. We were sitting up behind the first base, home team dugout, which gave us an excellent view of the proceedings.

It was a lovely night for a game, not too warm and with some neat clouds floating across the sky out beyond the right field wall. The tall pine trees in the distance reminded me of what part of the country we were in, and gave the ballpark a kind of rural atmosphere quite different from teh parks I visited earlier this summer back east in Cleveland, Buffalo and Rochester.

The star of the game, who pretty much took control of the contest early on and never let go, was Rainiers pitcher Brandon Morrow. He hurled a four hit complete game shutout, and did so in incredibly efficient manner. He only threw about 95 pitches and the game was over in just a shade over two hours (which meant, even with the Friday night fireworks show-- which they must do everywhere, as I saw the same in the aforementioned cities as well-- we were on our way home by 10:00)

All-in-all, a great time at the ballpark, with good company and an excellent game. If I had to quibble, I might wish they had a bit more variety at the concession stand, but that didn't detract from my good time, so forget I even mentioned it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such a good time at the ball game, John. As you know I know very little about baseball, but I do enjoy your comments. That is why I am a little upset for even I know the pitcher "threw" the ball. He may have thrown it through something, but I'm pretty sure he just threw the ball. And while I'm on a little rant of my own, I do wish you could remember to spell the. It is really not teh. You seem to have a keyboard that moves of it's own volition. Love Mom

John Hajduk said...

Mom,
OK, I fixed the "threw" error; but I couldn't find the misspelled "the." I'd say if those are the only mistakes in almost 900 posts I'm doing pretty well.
Dr. John