Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Funnies

When I was a kid, I always enjoyed reading Moon Mullins in the comics section, though it was Moon' little brother Kayo who was the star of the strip to my young eyes.

The setting of the strip was a boarding house run by the Plushbottoms, who had pretensions of being higher class than their tenants (he was in fact Lord Plushbottom).

Moon himself was kind of a shady character-- he hung around a pool hall and was always looking for some angle to play.

The style of the strip, created by Frank Willard, and inherited by Ferd Johnson by the time I was reading regularly, was kind of gritty and much less "arty" than some of the other classic strips I've written about here. But that fit the setting, a kind of working class urban setting (which for some reason I always associated with Chicago, though I don't know if that's literally where it took place).

I couldn't find an episode with the reprobate Uncle Willie, but above is one with his wife Mamie, who worked for landlady Emmy Plushbottom and took care of Kayo. I can't think of any current strip that is anything like Moon Mullins, which I guess speaks to how hard it is to replicate a classic.

No comments: