Sunday, June 14, 2009

What I Did Today

I spent most of this afternoon with Mom, Sally, Tom, Theresa, Ben and Natalie down at the Allentown Art Festival. This is an annual event (both the show and our attendance), and needless to say, I took along my camera. The fest is as much about people watching as it is checking out the work on display (much of which is very very good).

I have a friend (an artist) who claims this is little more than a glorified craft show, and so stays away. He's right up to a point-- there are at least as many woodworking, jewelry, toy, and other similar kinds of work on display in addition top the painting, photography and sculpture. But that just adds to the variety, and hardly detracts from the really fine "fine" art on display. Natalie, for one, spent a lot of time checking out the jewelry:

Here's a shot of one of the booths with pictures in frames:

I put this next one in because I was impressed that I caught the two seagulls in the same shot (flying over the festival). I'm easy to please that way:

After traipsing all over Allentown, most of us took the opportunity to rest outside the Wilcox Mansion (historical footnote: that's where Teddy Roosevelt was given the presidential oath in 1901), and I started playing around again with the manual settings on my camera. Here's one I think came out particularly good of Theresa:

It was a great art-filled day, capped off when I went with Sally to the Art Salon she belongs to at her church this evening (no pictures of that though). Later this week, I'm looking forward to checking out an exhibit at the Queen City Gallery of 1970s era photographs of the New York City Underground (the music/cultural scene, not the subway).

No comments: