Saturday, June 6, 2009

Randy Smith RIP

I mentioned in my post earlier this week about the razing of War Memorial Auditorium how I used to go there to watch the NBA Buffalo Braves play. One of the prime attractions for much of that time was the great Randy Smith, a seventh-round draft choice out of Buffalo State College who became an all-star and, for awhile, the league's record holder for consecutive games played. I remember Smith as lean, fast, and smooth and in many respects he was the face of the franchise even though his tenure overlapped with that of much bigger stars like Bob McAdoo and Adrian Dantley. When the Braves, under somewhat dubious circumstances, abandoned Buffalo for San Diego, I pretty much stopped following the NBA with anything more than an occasional glance; but I wouldn't trade those memories from the early-mid seventies for anything, and Randy Smith was a big part of them.

You can check out the New York Times obituary for Smith, who passed away at 60 on Thursday, at this site.

No comments: