Monday, June 15, 2009

The Last Movie I Saw

I'm not sure this movie really deserves much attention from me or anyone else. It's taut, slick, well-acted and sharply edited, all in the service of nothing I can decipher beyond cynical market manipulation (and I mean of the audience, not the glaringly obvious subplot that the movie pretends is some big revelation three quarters of the way through). I'm guessing director Tony Scott's reputation is such that he can attract talented actors like Denzel Washington and John Turturro to be in his films, but one look at his resume reveals nothing more than a lot of noisy nonsense, and this one fits right in. I've not seen the original version of this movie from the seventies, but I've got to believe that it was more suspenseful and less dehumanizing than this overblown waste of time.

No comments: