Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Photography Question

I've been experimenting a bit lately with taking digital photos at night, and trying to get the best effect without using a flash (basically depending on whatever existing light there is in the frame). I'm using a Canon Power Shot A 570, which has a night-time setting, but when I use it, the images seem to come out with a kind of phony sheen. Anyway, these are two I took recently that seemed to come out really well, and I thought I'd post them for comments, if anyone has any ideas for doing even better. In the above photo, I had both the streetlights and the illumination from the Burchfield-Penney Art Center in the background; below just the streetlights.

I like the grainy effect (as opposed to the sheen mentioned above), but I don't understand why the tree trunks and pathway in the second picture have that green hue. If anyone has any advice on how to best capture such images with the admittedly less-than-top-of-the-line camera I'm using, I'd like to hear your advice.

2 comments:

michael said...

Dr. John -- I don't know why it's green, but you have to fiddle with the f-stop and the shutter speed manually.

The lower the f-stop (i.e. number), the more light is allowed inside.

A high shutter speed captures fast images, while a low shutter speed allows more time for the image to form. Although, a low shudder speed also allows a chance for the image to blur because the lens is open longer.

I was a former student of yours, Michael Tucker, from 2000-2003. I had a radio show, Speech Therapy with the Stuttering Mic, also.

I enjoy your blog and read it every couple of weeks. You were a great professor and the shining star at Western. In part, I attribute my current job as a newspaper reporter to attending your classes.

Don't use the night setting and operate the camera manually. I hope I'm not telling you something you already know.

-mlt

John Hajduk said...

Hi Michael,
What a nice surprise to hear from you! Thanks for the advice, and the compliments. I certainly remember you (and your radio show), and am glad to hear you're doing well and working in journalism-- I recall you as a thoughtful and perceptive person, and we can always use more of those qualities in the media.

I have to admit, I had fallen under the sway of the auto-focus features of the modern cameras, but mine does have the option of going manual, so I'll try your tips and see if I can make some improvements in those night shots. Thanks again,
Dr. John