Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Soup Diary 090623

Today at the library I tried another soup I'd never had before-- Bruised... sorry, make that Braised Oxtail Soup with White Beans. I initially read the menu as "bruised" which didn't make for a very appealing image, though I'm not sure why. The soup was quite good, rich and hearty with a thick, beefy broth. There wasn't anything particularly exciting about it (you know, like African Peanut soup), but it made for a satisfying lunch.

Additional Soup Notes: I've actually had some other soup experiences in recent days that I haven't written about, but in the interests of comprehension thought I would note them here. First was a cup of Lentil soup at Kostas Restaurant in Buffalo. It was good enough, but where lentil soup is concerned I've kind of reached the point where if you've tasted one, you've pretty much tasted them all. Also, at Curry's Restaurant in Kenmore yesterday, my nephew Ben ordered the Banana Pepper Cheddar Soup and graciously let me have a taste. The creamy broth was somewhat similar to a good Broccoli Cheddar, but the banana peppers made for an extra zing. I'll definitely order it should I return to Curry's. Then today, while I had the Oxtail soup, Ben was again with me and had a cup of the Chicken Tortilla, which I'd had before and liked. He again let me sample his, and it was a bit disappointing-- way too tomato-y (which should've been balanced more with the chicken flavor). Anyway, maybe just a taste was unfair for me to draw conclusions, so I'll have to watch for it to return to the menu and give it another shot.

No comments: