Thursday, June 25, 2009

Unabashed Plug

If you check the "Blogs I Like" section in the left hand margin, you'll note that I've added a link to "The Big Takeover." This is a spin off from one of my two favorite music magazines (the other is Mojo out of Great Britain), edited by a fellow named Jack Rabid whose love of virtually all kinds of exciting rock music past and present comes across on every page (even in the pieces he himself does not write). He's been self-publishing the mag for more than 25 years, and though it started out as a mimeographed fanzine, it is now a fat, professionally laid out treasure trove of interviews, disc and concert reviews, and even some very sharp socio-political commentary. Much of that is evident in their blog, but I fully recommend looking for a print copy. It comes out twice a year, in June and December (just in time to help me compile shopping lists for my trips back east). The above issue actually came out about three years ago, but the current edition, #64, also features the Decembrists on the cover-- so look for it at your favorite news stand.

No comments: