Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Tribute to My Dad

My dad, Nikolaus Hajduk, passed away almost ten years ago, but I think about him virtually every day.

In many ways he and I were opposites with respect to things like education (he didn't finish grade school) and politics (he was much more conservative than me), but he was my first and most important role model in all the things that really matter like core values and the way I try to deal with other people.

Nobody could ever say a bad word about my dad, because his impulse was always to treat everyone else with respect, generosity and good humor. His family was the most important thing to him, and that was a huge factor in the closeness that still exists among me and my siblings.

Sometimes we fought about ultimately inconsequential things (like political candidates), but I don't remember those disputes ever interfering with the basic relationship we enjoyed and I don't remember any anger lasting longer than the heat of a particular argument.

I wish he were still around so I could spend more time with him, but in a way, he's always with me and I'm gratified that I can still rely on his steady guidance to see me through both the tough times and the good times. No one gets to pick their parents, but I sure lucked out with my dad, and my mom too, and I'm thankful for that every day.

1 comment:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
This one really made me tear up for the first time in a very long time when it comes to Dad. Like you I miss him every day and wish there was so much more I had asked him while he was with us. Also like you I felt his deep devotion and love to us kids even though there were times of disagreement. I love him still.
Lil' Sis