Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Battle of the Bands, Bracket 3

Here's the third set of rock groups who will be competing for the title of greatest British (or Commonwealth) Band of the period 1954 to 1974. The contest will be playing out over the next season of my radio show, Dr. John's Record Shelf, starting this fall. Seedings (in parentheses) are based on a somewhat subjective view of a group's popularity, critical acclaim, and influence. I should have first round songs identified and posted in the next couple of weeks. I call this bracket "Teddy Boys:"

Rolling Stones (1)
Cream (2)
The Animals (3)
Manfred Mann (4)
The Yardbirds (5)
Black Sabbath (6)
Them (7)
Mott the Hoople (8)
Fleetwood Mac (9) (note: this is the pre-Buckingham/Nicks version of the group)
Bachman-Turner Overdrive (10)
Pretty Things (11)
Free (12)
Ten Years After (13)
Argent (14)
The Marmalade (15)
Humble Pie (16)

Feel free to offer comments on this list, though I should tell you that I have ne intention of changing anything at this point (as I've already started distributing cds to potential judges-- let me know in comments if you want to be one). In a couple days I'll post the final bracket (anyone want to guess the top seed in that one?). You can see the previously posted brackets here and here.

No comments: