Sunday, June 20, 2010

Soup Diary 100620

As a kid I hated mushrooms, or at least thought that I did. After all, nothing could compel me to put one in my mouth-- they just seemed so slimy and disgusting. But as I aged, I came to tolerate them in some things, especially pizza, and especially if they were sauteed a bit before being placed on the pie. Even as I grew more tolerant of mushrooms generally, I mostly did not care for them in soup, and continued to resist soups that were built around the fungi, like cream of mushroom. But that changed when I had the Hungarian Mushroom soup at Fables last year, and now I can add the Mushroom Barley at the same place to the list of stuff I like. It's not as good as the Hungarian Mushroom, but pretty satisfying in its own right. If you can imagine French Onion soup, but with mushrooms instead of onions, that'd be a close approximation of what it tasted like. It just goes to show that one shouldn't jump to conclusions about taste based on what the ingredients look like prior to preparation, a lesson I really should've learned a long time ago.

No comments: