Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday's Quotation

This seems especially appropriate to post on a Monday; it comes from the author D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930) and comes from his book Apocalypse, published in the last year of his life:

"For man, the vast marvel is to be alive.
For man, as for flower and beast and bird,
the supreme triumph is to be most vividly,
most perfectly alive. Whatever the unborn
and the dead may know, they cannot know
the beauty, the marvel of being alive in the
flesh. The dead may look after the afterwards.
But the magnificent here and now of life in the
flesh is ours, and ours alone, and ours only for
a time. We ought to dance with rapture that
we should be alive and in the flesh, and part
of the living, incarnate cosmos. I am part of
the sun as my eye is part of me. That I am
part of the earth my feet know perfectly, and
my blood is part of the sea. My soul knows
that I am part of the human race, my soul
is an organic part of the great human soul,
as my spirit is part of my nation. In my own
very self, I am part of my family. There is
nothing of me that is alone and absolute
except my mind, and we shall find that the
mind has no existence by itself, it is only the
glitter of the sun on the surface of the waters."

No comments: