Thursday, June 10, 2010

Soup Diary 100610

I have to say, the names "spinach" and "gorgonzola" are not exactly appealing in and of themselves. But the cup of Spinach Gorgonzola soup I had at Fables a couple days ago was pretty darn appetizing. It's funny how much a name might affect our willingness to try something, quite apart from past experience with the foods in question. I actually really like spinach, even though that name connotes something kind of yucky in my mind (something about the "ch" sound at the end I think). I don't know if I've ever even had gorgonzola before I tried this soup (first time about a year ago), maybe in part because it sounds like some mutated Japanese movie monster. But my mission is to go for the stuff I used to eschew, and avoid the standard fare (you know, chicken noodle and vegetable beef). So now I have to hope the eggplant chowder pops up on the menu, since those too are words that kind of turn me off, which makes me think the soup must be wonderful. That's a rational way to think, no?

No comments: