Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pardon Me While I Gripe a Little

Is it my imagination or is the service at fast food places really deteriorating? It used to be every now and then someone would make a mistake, and I took it in stride; but I think I've received the wrong order something like four out of the last five times I've eaten at such places. Sometimes it's no big deal-- a vanilla instead of a chocolate ice cream cone, I can live with-- but when you get extra hot sauce on a burrito that you ordered with no hot sauce, you kind of notice. What really bugs me about this is that when I ask them to fix it, they give me a dirty look like it's my fault they weren't paying attention. Actually, I think the problem is that they are given such elaborate scripts to remember, pushing some product to everyone who walks up to the counter ("do you want to try the barbecue beef?"), that it's almost inevitable they aren't going to hear what you say as they struggle to recall their next required line. Maybe I'm just turning into an old fogey, but that's not the way it's supposed to work.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel better.

No comments: