Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Soup Diary 100615

Well, here's a first: I had a variety of soup at Fables Cafe that was considerably inferior to the versions I've had elsewhere. This is startling because it has never happened before. Virtually everything is better, or at least as good, in its Fables incarnation as what is served in other places. That is not the case, in my humble opinion, with their Chicken Tortilla Soup, which I tried yesterday. As I've written in this space before, the west coast chain of Baja Fresh restaurants offers a killer version of Chicken Tortilla soup, perfect in every detail, and especially notable for the big slice of avocado that graces each bowl. I've also had a superior version at the Taste of Buffalo, though the name of the restaurant where it was featured escapes me. I would have expected Fables to rise at least close to those standards, but sadly, they did not. Their version was too acidic, from the over reliance of tomatoes to make the broth I think. I've found that to be a common problem in lesser venues, but never at my favorite soup place. I'm sure this was a momentary lapse, and my next trip will return me to the heights of hot, liquid refreshment. I'd hate to think my regular fix will no longer deliver the kicks I crave.

No comments: