Friday, June 11, 2010

The Last Concert I Saw

As mentioned previously, I attended the Alejandro Escovedo concert in downtown Buffalo yesterday and thought I would share some photos of the event. I'm pretty please with the quality of the pictures I took, mostly employing a new zoom lens I recently purchased.

I've been a fan of Escovedo's since his days in Rank and File and the True Believers, but his career even pre-dates those bands, as he was once a member of the Nuns punk band too. He's also Sheila E's (remember her?) cousin and noted percussionist Pete Escovedo's nephew. More recently (the last twenty years), he's kind of been associated with the alt.country movement, being named No Depression magazine's man of the decade a few years back.

Yesterday's show was fantastic, high energy from the get-go. My only complaint might be that it was too brief for him to perform an ample sampling of his whole career output (just about 75 minutes long), but that might've been a consequence of the venue. Thursday in the Square is a Buffalo institution (they've been doing it for about twenty-five years now), and while it's a great treat to see performers of this caliber for free, I imagine that the downtown bars, restaurants, etc. hope for some post-show business and so they end the event pretty promptly at 9:00.

While I was waiting for the show to begin, a number of folks asked me if I knew who was playing, signaling that many were there as much for the beer and socializing as they were for the music. I have a feeling that few were fans prior to the show, but many left wondering why they never heard of this guy before, as Escovedo and his group, the Sensitive Boys, really played to the rock and roll hopes and expectations of an audience that was clearly there to party. Fans like me might wish for a few more of his more low key ballads (first rate in comparison to anyone else you'd care to name), but their absence certainly wasn't missed by the crowd.

The lineup for this weekly event for the rest of my stay here doesn't quite come up to Escovedo's stature, but I think I might try to catch Rogue Wave in a couple of weeks. If I do, I'll be sure to post a review.

No comments: