Saturday, September 26, 2009

Soup Diary 090926

Some years back, a Chinese restaurant opened in Dillon. The place was so busy at first, that they actually ran out of food after a couple of days and had to shut down so they could re-supply (after hearing raves from friends, I showed up the day they were closed). After the novelty wore off, business calmed down and I would go there once every other month or so, usually with a pile of papers to grade. I would plow through my work munching on egg rolls and kung pao chicken from the buffet. But then the food took a turn for the worse, becoming greasier and saltier, and I stopped going at all. This afternoon though, I had some grading to do, noticed that there were a fair number of customers in the place (generally a good sign), and thought I might give it another try. My lunch was better than I remember from my last couple trips, but still nothing special. Actually, the Egg Drop Soup (one of the buffet offerings) was probably the highlight of the meal, garnished with some fried noodles and augmented by a couple of egg rolls. Really though, it was mostly a case of low expectations being easily met, and I imagine it'll be a long time before I go back.

No comments: