Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Few Pictures I Like

Some readers may recall that I spent much of the summer trying to hone my photography skills. I've been reviewing some of what I shot and thought I'd post a couple of pictures that I thought turned out pretty good. These reflect my fascination with the sepia setting, which I like because of the old-timey effect, but also because (to my eye anyway) it seems to reveal crisper detail in shadows (or is that my imagination?). Above you see the ruins of a WPA constructed boat house/castle in Ellicott Creek Park in Tonawanda.

Here's a string of rental boats on Lake Hoyt in Delaware Park. I have about a hundred pictures of these boats, from various visits to the park, and using various settings on the camera. Needless to say, most of them aren't that hot, but I thought the curve of the line here made it a bit more distinctive.

Another view of Hoyt Lake-- doesn't it look like there are about a dozen different levels of shadow in this?

Last is a B&W shot of the shoreline of the Niagara River at Niawanda Park on a misty, foggy day when the park was virtually deserted (an oddity itself in July). I like the way the image seems to fade out to the right.

I've recently purchased Photoshop Elements, but haven't had much chance to figure out what I can do with it yet. If anyone reading this has ideas for what I might try to enhance the above pictures, let me know-- I'm at a bit of a loss on what to start out with, but if anyone more knowledgable can make a recommendation, that'd give me something to shoot for.

2 comments:

T said...

That's Ellicott Creek? Never saw it look so lovely.

I like the old timey effect too. It looks like something from medieval Europe to me.

T

John Hajduk said...

T-
The sky was particularly nice that day-- lots of moving clouds providing interesting contrasts and shadows. The boathouse is actually on Ellicott Island that is only accessible by a foot bridge; and it sits within the canal, not Ellicott Creek (though it's in Ellicott Creek Park). The kids might enjoy going there to play around the "castle."
Dr. John