Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Endless Summer

I've never surfed, and I doubt I ever will. But I love Bruce Brown's classic surf documentary Endless Summer (1964). I showed it last semester in the honors seminar I co-taught on Sport & Society as an example of a kind of purely aesthetic athleticism that had little to do with competition as we typically think of it. The film follows a couple of young surfers as they travel around the world (literally) looking for the perfect wave. The place where they found it was west of Cape Horn in South Africa, as seen in the following clip. After Labor Day yesterday, another summer is winding down (the thermometer here in Dillon dipped below freezing last night), but watching this might just make you think it goes on, somewhere if not here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, maybe I'll take up surfing next summer....this clip sure looked like fun....Mom