Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Helen!

It's a big day for my niece Helen-- the first day of pre-school and her fourth birthday! As usual, I can only celebrate from a distance with a little photo tribute to a kid who is always on the go.

Helen was born a couple months prematurely, and I'm convinced it was because she couldn't wait to start checking things out.

She's always on the go, and can't keep from climbing all over everything...

... even if it's only the rod in a closet:

She does a good job of making friends wherever she goes...

... keeps everyone around her entertained...

... while always having a good time herself.

She's comfortable out in the woods...

... down by the river...

... or playing in the snow.

She's pretty much always has a smile on her face...

... even if it's just because she's wearing big shoes.

When she was born, I played a song on the radio for her, and the only one I could find with the name Helen in it was "Helen Wheels" by Wings, and darned if that didn't prove to be predictive.

I hope you have a lot of fun today, Helen; I wish I could be there to give you a big birthday hug!

1 comment:

T said...

Thanks John - Helen is really an awesome kid. She's loving pre-K. After the first day I walked over to pick her up and was afraid she'd be super tired and not want to walk home. I asked her if she was tired after such a long day, but she exuberantly said no! and she wanted to go to the gazebo and run around it a couple of times. I really wish I could bottle her energy!

T