Monday, September 14, 2009

Soup Diary 090914

You know how sometimes certain foods taste better the second day? I was really hoping that would be the case with the soup I made yesterday, but it was not to be. My first shot at bean soup (16 bean soup in fact) has to be judged a mild failure. Oh, it's edible, and I'll be eating it for much of the rest of the week. But it sure isn't anything special, and I'm disappointed that it wasn't more tasty. I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been improved with some carrots, celery and peppers, but none of those things were in the recipe I followed. I also wonder if it wouldn't have had a richer flavor if I'd used beef or chicken broth instead of plain water, but again, that wasn't part of the recipe. Even as I was eating the first bowl yesterday, I was thinking that a night in the fridge might allow some more flavor to be released, but the bowl this evening wasn't any better. Maybe I should have put it through my new blender-- next time I might try that.

No comments: