Sunday, September 20, 2009

Soup Diary 090920

You'd think that, if an item is featured on a menu as a popular favorite that it would actually be, you know, good. I had lunch yesterday at the Staggering Ox, a well-known Missoula eatery that I've been to a number of times before. Their specialty is the clubfoot sandwich, which is pretty unique and quite tasty. It's trademark feature is a roll that resembles a ribbed tumbler, with its bready innards removed and replaced with sandwich fillings (meat, cheese, lettuce, etc.). They also promote their French Onion Soup on the menu, and so I decided to try a bowl along with my sandwich (and you can only get a bowl, no cups, and it's kind of pricey). It was almost the worst bowl of onion soup I've ever had (that dishonor goes to a place here in Dillon that shall remain nameless). The onions did not appear to have been carmelized, the broth showed no evidence of spices, and the melted cheese on top seemed to be of the individually wrapped, processed Swiss variety. What a disapointment! Luckily my Turkey Clubfoot picked up the slack so the meal wasn't a total washout. I wonder if I just hit them on a bad day or something. Surely no one would order the stuff I had more than once, and it that were the case, wouldn't they have dropped it from the menu long ago?

No comments: