Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thinking About Hollywood

In a couple of weeks, the semester will be over and I'll be heading down to sunny (I hope) Los Angeles for a few days of research. I'm going to be looking at videotape of some comedians (Mort Sahl, the Smothers Brothers, Dick Gregory) from the fifties and sixties at the UCLA Film and Television Archives. The weather here in Dillon has been kind of crummy for the last week (six inches of snow over the past couple days, though its mostly melted off by now), so I can't wait to hit some warmer climes.

Here's a pic from my last trip down there a couple of years ago. This is Hollywood Boulevard looking west from Las Palmas Ave. If you click on the image to enlarge, you'll be able to make out some stars embedded in the sidewalk (though not well enough to read the names). I'm looking forward to having some free time away from the archive to stroll these streets again. Here's another place I hope to also visit, the Santa Monica Pier (mainly I'd like to see someone surfing as I've never seen that in person):

With any luck (and it looks like my schedule will allow this) I may also be able to catch an Angels game in Anaheim and add another stadium to the list of those I've visited (unfortunately, the Dodgers are out of town that week). I also need to restock my file of favorite paintings, so the Getty Center and Los Angeles Museum of Art are also on the agenda. If you have other suggestions for things I ought to check out (or things you'd like to see a picture of here at the Journal), let me know in comments and I'll do my best to accommodate you (maybe even including some favorite celebrity's star on the Walk of Fame, though I'm not sure how patient I'll be in hunting up specific names-- there's a lot of those suckers!).

No comments: