Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Heroes of the Small Screen, 3

I think that, next to Maverick, Bat Masterson was my favorite western as a kid. I was drawn to the more off-beat characters-- Bret Maverick was often greedy and cowardly, while Bat was a dandy (wearing a derby and carrying a cane). I don't know why those things appealed to me unless it was just the fact that they turned all genre expectations on their head, and even as a youngster I was looking for something different in my entertainments. In most other ways Masterson was a typical hero, with a fast draw and coming to the rescue of damsels in distress. I just recently watched Sam Fullers Forty Guns and Gene Barry plays a character in that film who shares some qualities with Bat, which is what put me in mind fo the show. Anyway, here's a clip-- anyone else reading this remember this show?

No comments: