Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Best of a Genre

What are the odds that the two greatest butler movies of all-time were released within a year of each other back in the mid 1930's? I'm speaking of course, of Ruggles of Red Gap (directed by Leo McCarey) and My Man Godfrey (directed by Gregory LaCava). Now maybe you're thinking that "butler movies" hardly constitutes a genre (quick-- try to name another one besides those mentioned). But maybe it's a situation where these two set the bar too high for anyone else to even try (though their was an inferior 1950s remake of Godfrey). But I'll let you be the judge with these clips, first two from Ruggles, starting with Charles Laughton's very British, quintessential gentleman's gentleman schooling a bar full of American yahoos on the Gettysburg Address :



Here's part of the courtship scene between Roland Young (the aforementioned gentleman) and Leila Hyams:



In My Man Godfrey, William Powell is hired by Carole Lombard to be the family bulter after she finds him living as a forgotten man for a scavenger hunt:



Watch Mischa Auer steal this scene as Carlo, as we get to know a bit more about the Bullock family:



So here's a bit of a challenge: can anyone thing of a butler movie that rises to the standard of these two?

2 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
What a challenge =) I came up with a few movies but don't know if you will think it is up to the standards of the movies you mention (I will admit My Man Godfrey is one of my all time favorites). The first is Bicentenniel Man with Robin Williams. This is a very futuristic (robot) butler that develops emotions the longer he is around.
The other movie is Remains of the Day with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. The story of the butler who devotes so much to his employer that he denies himself the love he has for a fellow servant. The other movie I liked was Gosford Park, and while this was not just about a butler it dealt with the household staff and their relationships to the great house they work for (love Maggie Smith in this one - so subtly humorous). How'd I do? ;)
Lil' Sis

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis,
I found Bicentennial Man almost unbearable to watch, though I'll admit it broadly fits the genre. I never saw Remains of the Day. I liked Gosford Park a lot, but although it has butlers in it, I'm not sure that I'd call it a "butler" movie in the same way that Godfrey and Ruggles are.
Dr. John