Sunday, April 5, 2009

Opening Day (and Perilous Predictions)!

I don't know if you recognize the portly individual above, but that is President William Howard taft tossing out the first ball to launch the 1910 baseball season (on the other end of the throw was future hall of famer Walter Johnson).

Today, the 2009 baseball season opens, and I thought I'd go ahead and give my predictions of how I expect the year to unfold. These are based on a little research, but since I haven't quite finished reading this year's Baseball Prospectus, I'll admit that I'm not as knowledgeable about every team as I'd like to be (and I'm predisposed to pull for some underdogs too). Anyway, here's how I see things ending up about six months from now:

American League East:
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Tampa Bay Rays
Toronto Blue Jays
Baltimore Orioles

American League Central:
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Detroit Tigers
Minnesota Twins
Chicago White Sox

American League West:
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Texas Rangers
Oakland A's
Seattle Mariners

National League East:
New York Mets
Atlanta Braves (big comeback year for my team!)
Philadelphia Phillies
Florida Marlins
Washington Nationals

National League Central:
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Cincinnati Reds
Houston Astros

National League West:
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
Colorado Rockies
Arizona Diamondbacks
San Francisco Giants

The wild cards will be the Braves and the Yankees; I see it as the Cubs and the Red Sox in the World Series (providing the showdown we were all deprived of in 2003), with the Cubs winning it all!

Please feel free to critique my picks and offer your own in the comments section.

No comments: