Monday, April 20, 2009

Heroes of the Small Screen, 4

As a kid, there were two forms of currency in my neighborhood-- we traded comic books and bubblegum cards (baseball, football, Batman, etc.). When the Batman TV show started in the mid-sixties, it seemed like a major breakthrough in that the things that were important to us kids were taking over the airwaves as well (we were too young to know about the radio serials of the forties, and the old black & white Superman show seemed pretty old-fashioned even to us). Anyway, it didn't stop with the Caped Crusader; one of the spate of super-hero programs that I remember watching religiously was Mr. Terrific, about the proverbial 97 pound weakling Stanley Beamish (played by Stephen Strimpall) who was transformed into the super-powered Mr. Terrific merely by popping a special pill (hmm, I wonder if this was somehow linked to to the counterculture of that time...). I especially remember the episode where Stanley's friend (the much more heroically dimensioned Hal, played by Dick Gautier) was hypnotized by some super-villain into thinking he was a pigeon. Anyway, here's a clip I found on YouTube (I can't believe I remember this so well-- apparently only 8 episodes ever airred!):

No comments: