Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Soup Diary 100707

It appears that Samosa Soup, which I tried yesterday at Fables Cafe, has no hard rules regarding ingredients or methodology. None of the pictures I found online looked anything like the stuff I ate, though the one that appears above is the closest. The soup was described for me as an Indian concoction, built on coconut milk and peas, and it had a nice sweet but peppery flavor. The version served at Fables was somewhat creamy, though other variations appear very chunky with a clear broth. Whatever-- it was good and hearty, and I look forward to having some more sometime, even if it isn't identical to my first taste.

Sidenote: Inspired somewhat by the positive experience with the coconut-based Samosa, while out today suffering from the oppressive heat and humidity, I stopped for an ice cream cone and tried a flavor I've never seen before: Coconut Chocolate Almond. It was great! Maybe I should spin off an ice cream diary, and make a point of trying new things all the time, like I do with soup. The problem is that I feel like I'm being good eating soup (healthy, not usually heavy on the calories), while I try to keep the ice cream consumption to a minimum. I'll have to think about it.

No comments: